PADI AWARE Fish ID Instructor Course
Become a PADI Fish ID Specialty Instructor on Koh Tao
One of the most common questions you will be asked by your student divers is “What is that fish?”
As a role model dive professional and PADI Instructor you want to be able to answer your student questions.
You also want to ensure your divers are knowledgeable about the marine life they are observing.
The more they know about what they see, the more enjoyment they will get and the more they will become interested in the marine environment and the threat it is facing.
Learn to Teach AWARE Fish ID Specialty Course to Divers
During the AWARE Fish Identification Instructor specialty course, we will show you how to teach your student divers about the most common families and species of fish found on the Koh Tao Coral reefs.
You will learn to teach basic fish identification, scientific surveying techniques and introduce your divers to Project AWARE and various other conservation and research efforts we are involved with on Koh Tao.
One of the course goals of the AWARE Fish Identification specialty course is to encourage divers to become passionate conservationists and active advocates for the marine environment.
Included in Koh Tao Fish ID Instructor Specialty Course
- 1 Open Water training dive
- Rental of all scuba equipment including any specialized equipment
- FREE use of Dive Computer
- Black Turtle Dive Customer (and environmental) promise
To enroll on an AWARE Fish Identification Instructor specialty course, you must:
- Be at least a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor or currently participating in or have completed an IDC/OWSI Program within the past 12 months.
- IDC/OWSI candidates may apply for Specialty Instructor certification only after successfully completing an IE.
- Have recent diving experience – we recommend completing a scuba review if you have not dived for 12 months.
- Be medically fit to dive.
Upon successful completion of all course requirements, you must show proof of 10 logged Fish Identification dives.
1 Day PADI AWARE Fish ID Instructor Specialty Course
The course consists of two sections:
- Knowledge Development
- Open Water training – 1 Fish Identification training dive
At Black Turtle Dive we take our customer promise very seriously.
Our Dive Instructors are highly trained and will ensure you receive lots of attention and most importantly, progress at your own pace in a relaxed environment.
During your training we will slowly build your confidence and ability as you develop the skills necessary to become a competent AWARE Fish Identification Instructor.
Koh Tao Fish Identification Instructor Course Schedule
The AWARE Fish Identification Instructor specialty course schedule at Black Turtle Dive is flexible and we can work around your own personal needs and timeframe.
It is often scheduled as part of a multi-instructor specialty program such as our MSDT program.
Please feel free to ask if you have any special requests either via email or on one of the messenger apps on this page.
PADI Fish ID Instructor Specialty Course Cost: 4,000 baht
09.00 – 11.30: Orientation & Knowledge Development
12.30 – 17.00: Fish Identification Instructor training dive
You are now a certified AWARE Fish Identification Specialty Instructor.
PADI AWARE Fish ID Specialty Instructor Course Information
AWARE Fish ID Knowledge Development
The AWARE Fish Identification Specialty Instructor course consists of 1 training dive
There is also a knowledge development section that is conducted before we do the training dive.
During the knowledge development section, you must complete the following:
- Present a knowledge development presentation from the AWARE Fish Identification specialty manual by prescriptively teaching a missed question from the knowledge review.
- Review & understand the purpose and goals of the PADI Fish Identification specialty course.
- Review & explain the AWARE Fish Identification course standards and procedures from the PADI Specialty Course Instructor Guide and list all student and Instructor equipment requirements.
- Demonstrate mastery of all knowledge development.
- Describe how to conduct all diving course segments in a manner that enables divers to meet course performance requirements.
- Participate in a marketing and promotional workshop where you will learn techniques to promote the AWARE Fish Identification specialty diver course to your students and the general diving public.
- Participate in a pricing workshop.
AWARE Fish ID Open Water training dives
There are 2 Fish Identification training dives to complete to become a student level Fish Identification Diver.
During the Fish Identification Instructor course, you must complete all performance requirements of those 2 dives over a minimum of 1 Open Water training dive.
Prior to the dives you must explain the PADI Fish Identification specialty diver course Open Water training considerations.
During the Open Water training dives, you must:
- Demonstrate mastery of all water skill performance requirements for the Fish Identification specialty diver course.
- Conduct an Open Water teaching presentation from the Fish Identification specialty diver course.
- Demonstrate all Fish Identification diver specialty diver Open Water performance requirements.
Congratulations. You are now an AWARE Fish Identification Specialty Instructor
2023 PADI Fees
AWARE Fish Identification Specialty Instructor Application fee: A$123
Please bring your PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual
You will also need a copy of the PADI Instructor Manual that is available as a free download for all renewed PADI Members from www.padi.com/mypadi