PADI Self Reliant Instructor Specialty Course
Become a Self-Reliant Specialty Instructor on Koh Tao
As divers gain more experience, they naturally follow paths of interest. One of the most popular interests amongst divers is Underwater Photography.
Underwater photographers and videographers often need more independence from other divers in order to get that special picture they may not get, if they are part of a buddy team or larger group.
Teach PADI Self Reliant Specialty Course on Koh Tao
By becoming a PADI Self Reliant Specialty Instructor you will be in a position to teach your student divers as and when they decide to take that next step.
As a PADI Self Reliant Diver Instructor you will teach your student divers to develop self-reliance and independence while diving.
You will also learn how to teach experienced divers to develop the skills to plan, organize and execute dives without a buddy.
Other subjects you will learn to teach during this diving course include the potential risks of diving alone and how to manage those risks, the value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
Included in Koh Tao PADI Self Reliant Diver Instructor Course
- 1 Open Water training dive
- Rental of all scuba equipment
- FREE use of Dive Computer
- Black Turtle Dive Customer (and environmental) promise
To enroll on a PADI Self Reliant diver specialty course you must:
- Be a Teaching status PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
- Have certified at least 25 divers.
- Be a PADI Self-Reliant Diver or PADI TecRec Diver, or have a qualifying certification from another training organization.
- Have recent diving experience – we recommend completing a scuba review if you have not dived for 12 months.
- Medically fit to dive.
Upon successful completion of all course requirements, you must show proof of 20 self-reliant dives (dives using redundant equipment and following techniques of self-reliance).
1 Day PADI Self Reliant Instructor Specialty Course
The course consists of two sections:
- Knowledge Development
- Open Water training – 1 Self Reliant diver training dive
Our Dive Instructors are highly trained and will ensure you receive lots of attention and most importantly, progress at your own pace in a relaxed environment.
During your training we will slowly build your confidence and ability as you develop the skills necessary to become a competent PADI Self Reliant Instructor.
Koh Tao PADI Self Reliant Instructor Course Schedule
The PADI Self Reliant Instructor specialty course schedule at Black Turtle Dive is flexible and we can work around your own personal needs and timeframe.
It is often scheduled as part of our multi-instructor specialty program such as our MSDT program.
Please feel free to ask if you have any special requests either via email or on one of the messenger apps on this page.
PADI Self Reliant Instructor Specialty Course Cost: 3,000 baht
09.00 – 11.30: Orientation & Knowledge Development
12.30 – 17.00: Self Reliant Instructor training dive
You are now a certified PADI Self Reliant Specialty Instructor.
PADI Self Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor Course Information
Self Reliant Instructor Knowledge Development
There is also a knowledge development section that is conducted before we do the training dives.
During the knowledge development section, you must complete the following:
- Present a knowledge development presentation from the PADI Self Reliant specialty manual by prescriptively teaching a missed question from the knowledge review.
- Review & understand the purpose and goals of the PADI Self Reliant specialty course.
- Review & explain the Self-Reliant Diver course standards and procedures from the PADI Specialty Course Instructor Guide and list all student and Instructor equipment requirements.
- Demonstrate mastery of all knowledge development.
- Describe how to conduct all course segments in a manner that enables divers to meet course performance requirements.
- Participate in a marketing and promotional workshop where you will learn techniques to promote the Self-Reliant specialty diver course to your students and the general diving public.
- Participate in a pricing workshop.
Self Reliant Instructor Open Water training dives
There are 3 Self Reliant training dives to complete to become a certified Self-Reliant Diver.
During the Self-Reliant Instructor specialty course, you must complete all performance requirements of those 3 dives over a minimum of 1 training dive.
Prior to the dives you must explain the Self-Reliant specialty diver course Open Water training considerations.
During the Open Water training dives, you must:
- Demonstrate mastery of all water skill performance requirements for the Self-Reliant specialty diver course.
- Conduct an Open Water teaching presentation from the Self-Reliant diver specialty diver course.
- Demonstrate all Self-Reliant diver specialty diver Open Water performance requirements.
Upon completion of all the performance requirements, you will receive the PADI Self Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor certification.
2021 PADI Fees
PADI Self Reliant Specialty Instructor Application fee: A$111
Please bring your PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual.
You will also need a copy of the PADI Instructor Manual that is available as a free download for all renewed PADI Members from www.padi.com/mypadi